In my household, stews have always been a staple. They are easy to make, full of nutritious vegetables and filling.
The key to making a stew that is keto and low-carb is to omit the root vegetables and cut back on anything that may add too much sugar to the dish (such as tomatoes).
Here is recipe #3 of my 5 favorite keto recipes.
Keto Slow Cooker Beef Stew
This recipe is simple, easy to follow and a truly delicious way to feed a hungry family.
- 2-3 lb. beef chuck roast
- 1 large onion (cut into large pieces)
- 8 oz. mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 lb. green beans (trimmed and cut into 1” pieces)
- 1 red pepper (cut into large pieces)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 4 cups beef broth or bone broth (make sure it doesn’t have added sugar)
- 3 oz. tomato paste (half a can)
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste (lots of pepper is good for this one)
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium. Season the meat with salt and pepper. When hot, add some olive oil and place the meat in the pan. Brown the meat on all sides.
- When the meat is brown on all sides, remove it from the pot and set aside.
- Add more olive oil as needed and sauté the onions, red pepper and mushrooms in the pot for a couple of minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for a few seconds.
- Pour in the beef broth, add the tomato paste, bay leaf and thyme.
- Place the meat back into the pot and arrange the green beans around it.
- Cover, turn the heat down to low-ish, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Uncover, turn the heat back up, and let it cook another 20-30 minutes until the meat is fork tender, the vegetables are soft, and the broth is reduced somewhat.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve.
And there you go!
Click below for all my Top 5 Must Try Keto Recipes